(in)Frequently Asked Questions
Questions I Expect to Be Asked Frequently
- Where is the Frozen North?
- Mostly, in a Western suburb of Minneapolis. Sometimes, from cities I'm traveling to on business, or at my place near Grand Marais, MN.
- What do you do for, like, money?
- I run a small start-up business which helps companies improve their customer service. In the past, I've also been a teacher, a scientist, and a stock analyst for an investment bank.
- Why "The Frozen North?"
- That's what a lot of people seem to think about Minneapolis, and while it isn't quite true (well, not all the time), it is a useful myth which keeps the crime rate down and the riff-raff out. That, and frozennorth.org was available.
- Why don't you use your real name?
- I decided to use a nom-de-blog because it gives me more freedom in what I can write. For a more in-depth discussion, see this blog entry.
- What's the deal with the advertisements?
- I've signed up with Google's AdSense program to see if I can defray the cost of hosting this site. I don't really expect much, but then the hosting isn't too expensive, either. If the ads are too intrusive, or don't provide much, I'll take them down.
Questions I Want People To Ask
- Why are you writing this?
- This blog is like a journal to me: a place to write down ideas, thoughts, and stuff which comes to mind. It would be nice if lots of people started reading what I write, but that's not really why I'm writing it. This is a creative outlet.
- Are you married?
- Yes, thank you, and very happily with three children. I'm flattered you asked, and sorry you missed out.
- Can I reprint something you wrote?
- Contact me for permission to copy, or else just link to this site.
Questions Nobody Will Ask, But I Thought Up Creative Answers
- Are twins really Double Trouble?
- No. The amount of trouble goes as the square of the number of babies, so twins are four times the trouble of a single baby. Pity the poor parents of septuplets, who have 49x the trouble!
- Do I know you from somewhere?
- Probably not. My family and friends will recognize me instantly from what I write. Everyone else is probably fooling themselves.
- What's the answer?
- 42. (Actually, I didn't think up that answer.)
Questions Which Are Actually Asked Frequently